Sunday, January 15, 2012

Doodle #164 : Chicken Rice Balls, and Satay Celup

Title is glaringly Malacca-esque. Then again, that's exactly what this post is about. Yeah, I've been outta commission for a bit now, took a trip down to Malacca earlier this week. I can now say that I've driven out of the state at least once. Well, somehow or rather I ended up playing driver for the trip. And wow it's tiring to have your foot on the accelerator for almost 2 hours on end. Not something I'm looking forward to again anytime in the near future. Next time, I'll just play passenger and sleep the whole way there.

Day 1

The day kicked off on an early note, left my house around 8.20 anticipating to get to Uni by 8.45. Then again, traffic is always unpredictable. Got down to KESAS and saw what awaited me. Despite priding myself on always arriving early, I think I was the last one that day only reaching Uni at 9.20. Pushed off towards Malacca at 9.30, 30 mins later than our initial plan.

The journey itself was rather smooth. Jean, Melody and Jeremy in Jo's car and Joshiee in mine. Touchdown roughly 11.45ish? Waited for Jhii to get us at the toll booth. Actually hung around for 10 minutes before realizing she was already there!


The peeps in Jo's car, the lead car.


Me with Joshiee.

Okay so I maaaaaaaay have overused that pose when I'm not bothered to actually pose for a photo. Think it's been burned into my software. :/ Gotta stop.

There's just something about driving in unfamiliar territory. I almost got hit by a car LOL.

I felt so lost, driving the trailing car. Felt intensely focused on not losing the lead vehicle, which probably lead to the above.

Went over to Jhii's place first. She has such cute dogs! A whole pack even. :O


I mean, isn't it just so adorable? :D




Touchdown! Pharmacists in white. :D And the doctor in red.

First stop of the day; Jonker's Street!

Omnomnom chicken rice balls. Frankly, not what I had expected. They looked exactly like fish balls. Just that it was rice instead of fish.


Walked from end to end, picking up some Durian Puffs along the way. Needless to say, I passed on this. I never ate fruits in my life, and I'm not about to start with durians. :O Walked further down for some Asam Laksa. Jeremy and Jean both shed 'tears of happiness' eating it. Rofl. Dessert then was Cendol! (smth I also skipped) whaaaat?

As we walked down the street, we saw this big ass statue for a.. Just look at the name below.


Needless to say, the guys just dashed to the statue and began posing.


C-c-c-endol!


Waiting for me to get my stuff.

After making a short detour before heading back to the cars, I spotted a policeman, writing a saman, at a car which looked exactly like mine.

SHIIIIIIIITTTTTTTT! -.-

First time getting a parking ticket, and it was in Malacca. What a way to start the trip.

Meh!

Brushing that off, stopped by some place to pick up tidbits for the night (I decided to stay behind to watch the cars, no bloody way I'm taming any chances) once bitten, twice shy?

Pork Satay was next!

After we parked, I made sure to get the parking stuff from Jo. I just don't wanna risk another ticket, once was enough for a trip. Bahhh. Haha.

The pork satay was goooooooooooood. I just kept eating and eating. Nomnomnom. Even the drinks there were as awesome. Everyone ordered a fruit juice. Me? White coffee. There's just smth about coffee that you can't get enough of. Musings of a coffee addict.


Nadeje, a famous cake place in Malacca. I would assume they specialized in layer cakes..? Personally, not really my thing. I prefer the regular cakes. But that's just me.

Then it was a short detour to Melaka Megamall, or Dataran Pahlawan. Jean wanted to scout out the prices for a haircut (which she would get the next day, and that is a story in itself). Think we were looking for the supermarket but strangely enough, we never found it. Maybe it wasn't there anymore, maybe it got replaced, or maybe we just suck with directions.

Nevertheless..



Pictharrs. :D

After browsing about, it was finally time to check in. Left Dataran Pahlawan at roughly 4pm. It was then I got a glimpse of the Malaccan version of a traffic pile up. It was bumper to bumper all the way out of town. *shrugs* Never thought I'd see that kind of congestion anywhere other than KL.

A slow crawl out of the city brought us back on to the highway, and it was high time to check in. Off to A Famosa! I still don't get why is it so far from town. It was about a 40 minute drive at highway speed before we got there. After treading through a pretty dodgy village area we finally spotted the big "A FAMOSA" sign.

Checked in and found the place. Pretty comfortable, :D


Nice, isn't it?


My roomie. :D

Settled in and unpacked before we used the various facilities. :D


Namely, the swimming pool. :D

Dawdled a bit there. It was pretty funny watching some of us (I shan't name names) swim around. The puppy waddle! :D Tried to do free-style but that just kicked up water all over the place. The pool was pretty small too, I mean we had like 7 people in it. That and the part some of us got tossed in.. T'was a blast.

Dinner was pretty simple, your standard Chinese restaurant food. Ordered a few dishes and when they came, it was literally 10 minutes of silence as we indulged ourselves. Hunger sated, we bought the supplies for the night. 4 bottles of beer.

All I can say is.. T'was like a war, and I was on the losing side. Gahahhaa. Initially that is. :P

Went to bed around 2, wayyy past my standard bedtime.


Day 2

Jolted awake at 10 in the morning. Guess my biological clock hadn't completely shut down. Was ready by 10.30 too. Everybody else was still pretty much knocked out then. Brewed my morning coffee and sat down to watch a round of 9-ball on tv. *in awe*

Got our stuff packed up and left the villas round 12ish. Yeah, we only had to place for a night. Itinerary for day 2, back to the city!

Which meant another 40 minutes+ travelling time.

First things first, went to pick up the keys for our accommodation for the second night, a house near Jhii's place, as well as chuck our stuff there. Brunch was nearby, we ate some... No idea what it's called but it's like.. Pork. And pork's good. Nuff' said.

The bulk of the second day was spent at Malacca Parade.


Spotted this there. So you going down, or down?

Main event, KALAH OK.

Shall not go into the details, but it was a lot of eating, snacking, screaming, shouting, dancing (for some of us) and more screaming. Yeah......................

The next few hours were spent waiting (or rather watching. Funny story) for Jean / Jo / Jeremy to get their haircuts. Honestly, there was more dancing than hairstyling. I can't even begin to find the words to describe the epicness it was.

A story for some other day perhaps?


Time for dinner! :D



Satay Celop! Lucky for us, we managed to get a place relatively fast. I've never tried it before so yeah. :D We were counted by the amount of sticks we had on the table, the final price that is. I mean whoa. Everything there was RM0.80 a stick. Some of us spammed the big ass prawns, others spammed the cheese sausages. Myself included. Thing is, I never really get the full benefits of eating at places like this, or anything of similar nature (ie. Steamboat) for that matter. Way too choosy in my choice of food.

Meh.

At the end of it all, our table was swamped with satay sticks and plates. Mel was going on bout how she could find more stuff left at the bottom of the pot. She found quite a bit too, which prompted Jeremy to bet he could as well. Now, at this time, Jo had a cheese sausage cooking the pot. And Jeremy tried to scrap that off the stick. Hilarious.


Headed off to the pier after dinner.

Nothing much here, just some photo taking and stuff.



Credits to Jean!

Then it was off to.. another pier. This time overlooking the ocean. We were prolly several hundred meters out? I don't really know what place it was but there was a cafe at the entrance.. and a pretty loud pub. Spent the rest of the night there, gazing off into the distance. The placed played the kind of tunes you'd expect from Light.FM, those kinda stuff. Really fit the mood.

That and Joshiee decided to whip out some of his songs too. Got me addicted to In The Arms Of An Angel by Sarah Maclaughlin. As I stared out into the ocean, my head filled with a lot of things. Smth about the whole scenery + background music really had a thought provoking effect. Needless to say, I entered that state again, or rather.. I tiptoed ever so closer to it before bringing my trance to a halt.

*sniff*

Someday.. Just someday.

Hhaahaha.

That concludes the post.

The 3rd day was basically revisiting everywhere and eating a lot more. And a crazy tiring drive home. It's good to be back. :')

No comments:

Post a Comment