Friday, January 27, 2012

Doodle #165 : Happy Lunar New Year!

Think I put this off long enough. Though I'll keep this short and sweet.

It's the festive season again, Chinese New Year is upon us, or more specifically, the Year of the Dragon (or Water Dragon). A time where hordes of people flock back to their hometowns for family gatherings, reunions, and house hopping. All in the spirit of Chinese New Year.

It's times like these that I really wonder why did I complain so much back then?

True enough, the city centre was relatively empty during the first few days of the new year. I had heard earlier that day that the major highways were clogged up as early as 4am. That's right folks! 4-bloody-am. Maybe everyone had the same thought "If we all leave early, we'd bypass the jam"

Luckily for me, the past 2 new year celebrations have been held in my cosy neighbourhood, KK. My family used to take a 4 hour trip back to Sitiawan (where I was raised up) before my grandparents shifted up. That's when it hit me, I will no longer be able to experience the long hours in the car heading home, the sceneries I used to pass, the vast paddy fields and village areas, the tranquility of the small town.

I wonder what was I thinking back then? I really miss it all now.

As with every Lunar New Year, a reunion dinner is a must to kick things off. This year, we would be heading down to KL. Hence, my earlier statement that the city was rather empty. T'was a pretty small gathering, so to speak. There were only 8 of us in total.

Another thing I love/hate about the new year, THE FOOD. It's like hypnotic, I kid you not. Moment I sink my teeth into 1 of the snacks, I end up wiping out half the container. :/

It's been a pretty uneventful new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment