Friday, December 9, 2011

Doodle #158

It's the weekend again. This is one of the few times I actually looked forward to it.

For the past week, I've been working as a Student Helper for the School of Pharmacy at Monash. I found out about the job through a fellow Monashian, Aly. So thanks a bunch! I'll get you your San Frans soon. Sorry, but the one I was carrying the other day was for my colleague. Speaking of colleague, Aly told me that 2 people were needed for the job and hence, I could invite someone along for it. One of the first people I thought of, Blondiee!

So I let her know the details and we started work on Monday (ie. earlier this week). We weren't sure what exactly we were going to be doing but it was Monash related paperwork. Admin stuff, so to speak. Met up at Monash where we were briefed by Ming Yuan who was in charge of the Pharmacy school related issues on what we were tasked to do. Turns out the Pharmacy Board of Malaysia was coming to Monash for their annual review of the course. One that was vital for the accreditation of the course. So I had to help out all I can, wouldn't want these 4 years to go waste now would I?

On the first day, there wasn't exactly a proper venue set aside for Blondiee and I to get about starting work so we were given one of the rooms which just so happened to be available then. It was a meeting room, complete with a long table and many fancy chairs. I couldn't have chosen a better work station myself. We were then handed the key to the room *whee* and given the notes and papers we were supposed to file.


Blondiee!


Behold! Task 1 given to us. 20 sets of individual sections of a much larger file. On the right side is the puncher used to get things done. It was really fun to play work with it.


This was how things looked when we went on full speed. Division of task: Blondiee handled the more delicate issues like labelling while I took over the more speedy filing. After about half a day we managed to work out a system and placed each section in a way to maximize production rate. Oh, I feel so.. productive. :D

At this point in writing this post, I realize I've already covered the first day of work in my previous post.


Little did I know they were only going to use the best 8 files out of the 20 we made. And to think I made sure each was perfect. :'(

No matter. I'll just skip along to day 2 and 3!

Day 2, we were given even more notes to file. But in essence, it was a repetition of the previous day. Only this time round, we filed up lecture notes from Year 2 and 3.


Cue sneak peek into the year that awaits us! One glance at the notes and I was horrified, to say the least. Almost everything had shifted to a more... biological perspective, always considered my Achilles Hell (trying to sound fancy).

After lunch, we decided that we wouldn't be able to complete everything on time at the rate we were going and decided to stay on past our scheduled leaving time. OT ftw! Stayed back till 7.30pm to help get things back on track.

Day 3, pretty much the same routine, only we were given some pens to wrap up. Using this paper!


Pretty Monash wrapping paper, which also happens to be super thick and meticulously difficult to fold and shape nicely. Tina dropped by to see how we were doing that day, as well as to get some things from me. Chern also delivered us some Bubble Tea in the morning. Yummmm. :D

After folding almost all the pens, I took a piece of paper we folded wrongly and didn't need and cut it into a square, regular dimension. Needless to say, I begun my trademark paperwork, as best I could. Tina could tell what I was up to the moment she saw me getting started. I was finishing up when Dr. Wong came in and saw my folding origami with the wrapping paper. Gahahaha. Somehow or rather, I managed to leave it at the office, on two seperate days. Guess someone'll just keep it I guess. It was a pretty nice piece too!

Day 4 was the day of the Pharmacy Board visit. Tensions were heightened, senses sharpened. I'm just exaggerating, but you get the gist of it. The fate of the accreditation lies in these annual audits.

Stood guard outside the meeting room pointing all the lecturers in the right direction. One of the slower days of the week. Didn't really have much to do from 9.30am to 1.00pm. Blondiee and I just stayed on standby mode all the while. Tina came at 11 to help out Dr. Wong with the MyDispense demonstration. Basically, it was to show the board the various learning methods we Monash students utilize to grasp Pharmacy better. Personally, I really like the program. Gives you the whole dispensing experience without the actual process itself. A virtual and simulated environment, so to speak. Best of all was the convenience, could do the exercises on campus or at home. Just that the downsides are rather few exercises which couldn't be repeated and we don't actually experience the many variations in a real dispensing situation. Then again, being in Year 1, I wouldn't really know much to begin with. The only actual experience I have is helping out at a pharmacy in SS15 during the end of last year. :D

The other students only started arriving at 1, which was the scheduled lunch time. Lunch was surprisingly good, for cafe food. Coming from me, that's a statement. LOL.

One of the main things the pharmacy students will be involved with is the "Meeting the students" session where several students from each year would be selected to go for a short interview with the Pharmacy Board committee members. It was to get a know how on how the programme was being run on campus and to ensure the quality of the course being delivered.

When they started calling out the names of people who were chosen, I did a mental calculation. 4/9 year 1 students will be chosen, and it'll be based somewhat on academic performance. *sighs slowly* I should be safe.

"Kin Hoe Choong!"

*oh shit* LOL.

Why do I always get selected for these things. The fate of the course now rests on my shoulder, partially. *stressed* That and I still had to run about helping get this and that done. Blondiee took over for me as I headed into the meeting room along with Mei Yi, Vinci and Mastura who were also selected.

The interview itself wasn't that bad. The committee introduced themselves to us and then we did to them. It felt pretty serious (for me) at the beginning but the tension began to loosen up after they cracked a few jokes. It did feel like a conversation as opposed to an interview. Mei Yi was really good in getting her opinions across. I just sat there, listening intently. In fact, I was a little too passive, till a question was directed straight at me. I couldn't really process things at that point.

I need a sensory break.

But overall, it was good. Thanks to Mei Yi, I would say. Well done! :D

That pretty much concludes day 4.

Day 5 began on a low note. Blondiee couldn't make it so I had to work alone for the day. For the first time in a week, I actually like like I was working instead of just dropping by uni to help out. I guess that's the difference of having a friend at work and just working by yourself. In fact, there really wasn't much left for me to do really.

Just helped bind some files and rearranged and packed up things from the meeting the previous day.


Killed some time reading this book I found in the office. I seem to have a fascination for Psychology. Just the reading, not the researching.


Mm.. Foood.

And like that, another week is over, and a job is done. Felt good to have done something productive for the holidays. Time seems to have passed really quickly. Thing is, even though I stayed back for every day of the week, I never once felt tired (save the last day since I worked alone). I guess being occupied helps. The moment I got off work and reached home, I just collapse due to the exhaustion, which hits me instantly all at one go.

Well, guess it's time to get back in the holiday spirit. Cheers!



On a side note, I wrote this earlier this morning during my excessively long break wandering around aimlessly,

Seven years,
Trials and tribulation,
A distant journey traversed,
Undaunted and unrelenting,
A brother in arms,

Time relinquishes no control,
It took but a tiny seam to form,
A voice laden with doubt,
Trembling with fear within,
Warps the perception of reality.

Seven years,
A life built and broken down,
Paths chosen and paths crossed,
Every journey begins with hello,
To crossroads we reach,
Separate paths taken,
Marked with silent goodbyes,
An unacknowledged farewell.

Would you have done the same?

Honestly, I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment