Sunday, December 18, 2011

Doodle #159 : Beef Noodles & Dim Sum Galore

It's been well over a week since I last updated. Anyways, you might be thinking why did I select such a title for today's update. To be honest, it's kind of overdue, this update of mine. I was never known for my narrative skills but I'll give it a shot.

The reason the post title is about food is because, this post will be about a food (well, mostly) trip down to Ipoh! That's right, I went down to Ipoh last Sunday. Okay, I'll come clean. It wasn't for the food, it was for the friends. :) There were some people I have not seen since the holidays began and I really wanted to meet up with. Hah!

In a way, it was the first time I travelled out of state alone, beyond the boundaries of Selangor that is. I always had a friend with me, be it to Penang or.. Hang on, I've only ever been out of state with friends once, and that was to Penang. This is a pretty sad revelation, and the trip can be found here.Link
No matter..

Bought my tickets down a few days earlier and after I settled my accommodation at Ipoh. I would be staying over at Marc's place throughout my time in Ipoh. That's what whore brothers (Ausmat joke) are for! :D Thanks again for letting me crash at your place Marc! All that's left was getting myself down there. I was dropped off at the station roughly 30 minutes ahead of the scheduled departure time of 3.00PM from KL Sentral, much to my dismay as I would later learn. I retraced my steps to the escalator and Intercity station that Jean and I almost missed the previous time around to find it cordoned off. Pretty usual stuff I thought. So I asked the guard on duty whether I was at the right place when he told me this.

"Yeah this is the station, but the train has been delayed. It'll take roughly another 1 hour 30 minutes. So come back around 4.20PM larh" in Malay of course.

I just stoned, and probably plastered the "wtf" face on me then and there.

Then came the whole sitting around with nothing to do at the station. I guess you could say I was utterly bored, then again any average person would have felt the same way. I literally could have died of boredom before being resurrected, and dying again of boredom at least 3 times. In a last ditch attempt to entertain myself, I took out my trusty 15x15cm paper and started folding random origami pieces. Think some people were staring at me too. I couldn't be bothered though, too much concentration was needed folding the paper without a table. It had to be pitch perfect too.

After what seemed like an eternity, the announcement came that the train was here and I wasted no time getting aboard. Lesson learnt, I ain't taking the KTM anymore.

Take the ETS people! Never ever take the KTM. Way too much delay + slow. This is a PSA brought to you by KinocGary.

*fast forward 3 hours*

Touchdown at Ipoh! Was greeted by Marc and his gf as well as Joshiee at the station. :D My initial plan was to stay over for a night then push off the next but after talking to Marc, I agreed that half a day was nowhere near enough to do anything and put simply, a waste of time. Impromptu extension of stay at Ipoh to 2 days! Bought my return ticket for Tuesday's train then and there.

It was 7.20 by the time I arrived at Ipoh, no thanks to the highly efficient and speedy transport system. Time for dinner! Finally, I can dig in into awesome Ipoh food. :D Om nom nom. We went to this food court place, Kam Wan if I recall correctly. It was located beside this other food court which was where I always ate at every time I went down to Ipoh with family. Well, I can't really explain more but it's the place with the famous Claypot Chicken Rice.. and delicious but not so famous Ikan Bakar. Oh, how I ate and ate. The portions were bigger, the prices cheaper, the taste far more satisfying than your everyday food in KL. Trust me, I'm not overselling Ipoh food. It's that heavenly. :D The rice took 30 minutes to serve but was well worth the wait. Managed to catch up with the guys on the holidays. We actually spent a bulk of the time discussing Skyrim and getting arrows to our knees. Yes, that's how much it's affecting us. IT'S A PANDEMIC I TELL YOU.

Nevertheless, I don't think I've ever felt so full in my life. The food definitely sated my appetite. NOM. Dropped Marc's gf and Joshua off at their respective places before heading back to Marc's place. Freshened up after putting my stuff in his room. Even played with his hedgehog! Yes, Marc has a hedgehog. I'd put pictures in this post but I'm much to lazy to upload. :P Not here anyways. I would like to reiterate how full I was that night after dinner, but Marc had bought back Beef Noodles for me to try but I declined, citing how full I was at the moment. *glances at watch* 9pm. Spent the rest of the night watching Forensic Heroes III (a chinese drama). What..? :D About 1am, Marc told me to eat the noodles he had bought earlier. Initially I said no, but he managed to talk me into eating it. At least just to try it. Why not? One bite later... OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM, wolfed down 3/4 of the bowl. Mind you, the portion in Ipoh is roughly x2 relative to what we have here in KL. LOL.

The power of Ipoh food. Spent the night being frozen to death by the air conditioning. I'm still not used to sleeping with a/c on, not having any at my place. *shrugs*

Day 2 began with some delays. We were supposed to be awake and leave the house by 7.45AM but I dilly-dallied a bit too much so we only managed to push off at 8.00. By the time we picked up Joshiee and reached Nam Heong it was already 8.25 Peak hour, so to speak. Worse still, Nam Heong was CLOSED! WHYYYY?!?! WHY DO THIS TO MEEEEE?! :( *insert mega sad face here* It was then I realized I have been there on numerous occasions but never knew it was the super famous coffee shop. Oh, the ignorance! So we ate at the coffee shop opposite it. I have no idea what the shop was called but this much I'll say. The 'ngau yuk mee'(beef noodles. yes I know I ate it last night but that was dry, this is soup) was AWESOMEEEEE. I had to Caps Lock it to emphasize my point. Once again, I wasn't hungry initially and only ordered toast. One bite into the beef and I just had to get a whole bowl for myself. It literally melts in your mouth. I'm kinda craving for it now. :/

Spent the bulk of the afternoon wandering about Jusco a.k.a. Kinta City. Watched "White Vengeance" too. It was a movie on ancient Chinese history. Unless you knew about the story beforehand, it doesn't take too long for you to get lost in the plot. Exhibit A. Though I managed to get back on track roughly 20 minutes into the movie. It had something to do with 2 rebel factions working hand in hang going against a tyrannical empire before turning on each other. The whole plot and storyline was mindboggling to say the least. Now that I think about it, I can't help but feel I've seen the whole thing somewhere else. Maybe not the movie but the story in general. I'm getting vivid recollections of the deaths of certain characters in the movie that isn't linked to watching the actual movie. Whoa, deja vu. :/

It was pretty good. The plot twists and turns, the cunningness of the advisors on both factions and the unexpected mastermind of the whole story which came to light towards the end. I was blown away. I even teared at some scenes. :'( Yeap. It's not that often I get so absorbed into a movie. Heh.

The rest of the day? CC. LOL. Played DotA quite a bit throughout my Ipoh escapade. I realize how much I suck in the game now, having stopped HoN over 5 months ago now. I think the flame has somewhat been reignited in me, whilst only being a small ember. We'll see. :D Had dinner with Marc and his dad later that night. More claypot chicken rice! I just can't seem to get enough of it. Nomnomnom.

I was determined to wake up early on day 3. Breakfast was set at 8am at Foh Shan. The whole dim sum area is known to be crazily packed in the morning. Well, that's hardly surprising when you have 3 dim sum shops along the same street. Having caused a delay the day before, I jumped out of bed and got ready in under 5 minutes. *cue battlecry* The moment Marc turned the corner he went like "shiiiiiiiiiit" so I turned to look.

Foh Shan closed. WHAIIII?!?!? :(( The previous time I came down it was also closed. Urghh. So detour! Ming Kok (which had better dim sum according to Marc). We were pretty lucky, managed to get a place in under 5 minutes. "Tap toi" which loosely translate to share table, ftw. :D Then only had to wait a bit for Jamie to arrive. :D More catching up! Then more om nom nom. :))

Breakfast was super nice. :D

Went back to Marc's place to just pass the time till 11am. Then he dropped me off at the station, and I left food paradise. Back to the hustle and bustle of the metropolis for me. It was a good trip down. :D

Back to Skyrim! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment