Saturday, October 8, 2011

Doodle #143 : First Aid Day 1

As the title goes, today was Day 1 of a two day First Aid stint organized by MUPhaS. I had registered for this roughly 3 weeks prior to the actual workshop. Had to pay too. I guess we'll only see whether it'll be worth it in time. But hey, you can't put a price on knowledge of basic first aid that could potentially save someone's life somewhere down the road.

Nevertheless, that was the exact reason I had signed up for this in the first place. You never know when you might need it. Chucked out a large portion of my allowance too. Plus, had to haul my sorry ass outta bed the same time I do on normal days, but on a weekend. Reached Monash pretty early too, was at the tutorial room by 9:00AM.

In total, there were 10 participants, all being from Pharmacy. 2 of whom were from SEGI University, while the other 8 comprised of Year 1 to Year 3 students from Monash University. I was the sole Year 1 student. *shrugs*


And so we go.


As with every other place I doodle my name, I have to draw Gary. MIAO. It makes it easier for people to recall my name anyways. Symbolism. 8D


Notes provided! The little bag you see on the left actually holds a triangular bandage, which will be used later on in the practical sessions. A lot, mind you. Haha.

To kick off the day, we were given a short introduction on the very basics of First Aid. Different perceptions of First Aid, and what exactly is classified under First Aid. To me, it's like the initial treatment given to anyone who is injured in order to minimize deterioration of injuries / complications from arising later on. Close enough actually. Hah!

In addition to that, we were told about what is known as the "Primary Survey" as well as "Secondary Survey" procedures. Being my usual lazy self, I refuse to reach out to my notes in my bag (less than a metre away). So I'll write this completely from memory. *innocent face*

Sidetracking a bit, trying to estimate distances of between 0.5m to 1m seem to elicit this fear response in my mind. It's an unexplainable sensation but the previous line where I said how I was estimating the distance to my notes seems to have evoked that response within me again. It's been at least 5 years since I've felt this fleeting fear. Think I've been traumatized sometime in my childhood. Must be a repressed memory. Isolation. Blablabla.

Sorry for that. Coming back to more important issues..

Primary Survey is actually the initial assessment of scene (ie. an accident) when you, as a first aider arrive. Contrary to popular believe (or most of us at least), you actually look for signs of danger first before finding out what has happened. Well, I sincerely thought that "What has happened" came before Danger. But no.

Chronologically speaking, you assessed any potential dangers first before attempting anything else. Once you're confident that the scene is safe, then you may move onto finding out what has happened there. From then on it's a pretty logical sequence, finding out the number of casualties and the extent of their injuries.

I won't bore you with the details on Secondary Surveys. Frankly, I can't remember. Then techniques on wound cleaning as well as dressings.

Next up, how to move people in emergencies. I won't be dwelling on the details. Frankly, the pictures speak for themselves here.



The 2-handed seat.

There was also a 3-handed and 4-handed seat for moving people. For the 4-handed one, Cheng and I tried carrying Soo. T'was a futile effort. So we swapped roles and I played the casualty instead.

Then there was the cradle. And this.


The piggy back. Woot woot ;)


The human crutch.

Now for "dragging". First we were shown the 'proper' methods of dragging a casualty out of harm's way. Which was interestingly enough, a very exhausting task, especially since you had certain guidelines to adhere to. You can't just go around literally dragging them on the floor. You'd inflict more harm that way. -.-


So first we were shown how to 'drag'


Now to put it into practice.

I think this was one of the more 'discussed' methods of moving a casualty. It was fun watching Devi trying to drag Soo across the room. There was this proper method of crossing your arms to secure the casualty before you actually begin. A few seconds in, she just said "I can't reach!" Hahaha.


The "Carrying Chair" method.

Having the right equipment makes everything so much easier. Hence,


Stretcher! We learnt how to use it properly. So yeah.

We got our lunch break then! OM NOM NOM. Lunch was pretty nice. Devoured the papadam. HAHAH.

We were then shown how to apply bandages, as means to secure the applied dressings, among other things. Bandages are somewhat like the Swiss Knife of First Aid. Perhaps I'm exaggerating, but no matter. Yeah. We were shown (then practiced on each other) several different bandaging techniques.

I was paired with Soo for this session.

Bandaging techniques include:
- Arm Sling
- Elevated Sling
- Bandana (no idea what it's called)
- Joints


Bandaged my palm! :D


Cheng getting his bandana bandage. This was pretty much the easiest to tie yourself. This was probably one of the most fun ones to apply. I kept tying it for myself, no help needed. LOL. Bandage self + run away in emergencies ftw.


The SEGI students working on their bandage skills.


The speakers showing us how to utilize the round bandage. (crepe)

Then came more theory on Types of Wounds / Circulation.



Just working on what's been taught so far.

Finally, the last part of the day,


Moving people into "Restoration positions" so as to avoid blockage of airways and whatnot. Paired up again and tried on each other. My attempt at this was hilarious. For my turn, I got the instructor. So as to simulate actual life situations, you won't actually get your conscious friends 'helping you out' by shifting their bodies as you move them. He was totally slack, relaxed. Made it so much harder to move -.- Oh nuts. Ah well.

We were taught the basics of CPR too.

Everything resumes tomorrow. I need some sleep, like NOW.

Kinoc, out.

No comments:

Post a Comment