Monday, February 21, 2011

Orientation : Whole Lotta Mehhh

Thought of the day : I'd say I used to know them.

I shall heed my inner desire to update about the first day of my orientation at Monash University before my ever so fickle mind decides to not update at all.

It's a different atmosphere when you realize it's going to be your first day at a new institution of learning. For me, I would say that reality hasn't quite sunk in yet. I woke up at 7, as I did almost every other day in my oh so lackluster holidays. Do not question why I had spent my holidays being awake by 7:30, I'm still struggling to find words to answer that question.

I was at Monash sometime around 10:00AM, my scheduled orientation begins at 10:45AM so that left me with almost an hour worth of time to kill. I managed to find Marcus and met another ex-Sunwayian, Joshua, also from Ipoh. Shortly after that, familiar faces just kept popping up like mushrooms after a rainy day. (Literal translation fail?) Mehh.

I'll now try to make a list of people I saw today who I knew and/or recognised. Uhh.. know what? I'll skip that list, figured it'd be rather long and tedious to figure out everyone. This much is certain, approximately a quarter of AusMatians from Sunway, 2010, were at Monash for their degree. So much for immersing myself in a whole new enviroment with less than 5 faces I knew and recognised. Mehh.

Located the line for registration at the cafeteria and settled everything while waiting for the rest to show up. When I found Jo he said "You know.. I was queueing up at the Engineering line and it was all GUYS! Then I looked over at your Pharmacy lines and it was all GIRLS" Well, that's plus one to Pharmacy. (Y)

Once all the registration and signing up for Transition Camp 2011 (More on this at the end of the week) was done, we tried to locate our next stop for Day 1 at Monash. General Introductions and Welcome Speeches and whatnot. Stopped by Audi 1 first but took a detour to Audi 2 as it was jam packed. Mega stuffed. D: Audi 2 was not bad. An image of the speaker from Audi 1 was broadcasted on screen, so he/she was simultaneously speaking to two auditoriums. Not bad.. had it not been the fact that construction work was going on barely 100m away. Couldn't hear much over the loud drilling. Mehh.

Time seemed to pass by really slowly then, nothing interesting was said till someone from the Security Dept mentioned reporting "near misses" and/or accidents. That snapped me to attention, my mind flashed back a few months to that time the 4 of us were inches away from being ploughed through and turned into mush by an errant driver. Nothing much besides that.

Another point worth noting. Almost every speaker (from the MUSA and other organisations) promoted the various orientation week programmes that had been laid in place for us freshies. And in every one of em, they mentioned "Free food" Mm.. Two of the best words in the English languaged fused into one divine concoction. (Y)

So I had sat through all the talks, that left me around an hour to kill before the lab coat fitting for Pharmacy and MBBS students. Our little group dispersed and being rather lost, I found a place to hunker down, and eat the free food I had gotten. Nasi lemak. Mm.. Yum yum (Y).

Yoke Yee found me later on and we just sat around with Siew Choon (Another fellow AusMatian I hadn't gotten acquainted with till today, lol) and Nick Siew.

Had my lab coat fitting session later. The place was rather easy to find, look for the crowd and randomly join them. Admittedly though, I kinda felt like a fish out of water then. Didn't really felt at ease with the environment, or myself. Silently willed the whole thing to pass by faster.

Whee, my labcoat's going to have some neck cover thingy. No idea how it's going to look like but it sounded cool, which works for me.

I should start packing for camp.

Once again, the day was a whole lotta mehhhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment