Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Doodle #57 : Modelling

No, not the literal modelling. You'd like a post on that wouldn't you?

Sorry, no can doosville baby doll.

Today, I had my first 1121 practical lab session. You guessed it, it's a session on molecular modelling. For those of you who aren't acquainted with the ways of science, it's a process whereby you, the.. lab person / researcher / student / etc opens a box containing a range of balls and sticks.

Yes, balls and sticks.

WARNING : SCIENCE CONTENT


The box where we were to use to construct our ball and stick models.

Well, what did you think I was talking about?

We had roughly 3 hours to construct over 10 different molecules.

Alkanes, cycloalkanes, alkenes, cycloalkenes, aromatic hydrocarbons as well as substituted aromatic hydrocarbons. Sounds easy enough, no?

In theory, it's all child's play. But to actually construct them..

Fine, it was simple. But it HURT.

No thanks to this dude.


Hard at work writing our lab reports. Of course, it was with reference to all the models built by ME. All he did was sit there and go "Kin Hoe, Benzene. Please and thank you"

I just glared at him.

Nevertheless, it's fun to play around with the molecular building kit. It's reminiscent to my good old childhood days. Kinda reminds me of Lego blocks, only more complex.


Our oddly shaped CH3CH(OH)COOH molecule, otherwise known as lactic acid. The stuff your muscles produce as a by-product of anaerobic respiration. Adeline referred to this as a poodle with a deformed leg. You have to admit, it does somewhat look like what she said. Somewhat.


Aspirin. We made a mistake here. It's supposed to be orto, but somehow we constructed it as meta. Nobody noticed it till the end. D:


I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS IS CALLED.

I really appreciate all the self-study time I took last year to read up on chirality. (: And my whore brother who influenced me to read up more. I feel more prepared for my course. *puts on glasses*

Another day, another dollar. Uncanny, yet oblivious. To ascertain one's true nature takes time. Time seems aplenty, until you realize there's none left.

2 comments:

  1. I used to play with that when I was in Pre U lolol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to as well, back in Chemistry. It's fun. (: Just that it's a pain to dismantle it after putting it together. D:

    ReplyDelete